|Products||UPC Code Procedure||Search||Labels and Ribbons|
|Printers||Data Collection||Software||Point of Sale|
Already have a UPC code and need labels? If you've already applied to the UCC and received your unique UPC number then click this link.
Don't have a UPC code? If you don't have a UPC (Universal Product Code) from the UCC (Uniform Code Council) then click here to apply for your number. A UPC code is required in most POS (point of sale) and retail environments.
My UPC number
How do I Get a UPC number for my product?
The short answer is, in the USA call 1-937-435-3870, the Uniform Code Council, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. Or you may contact them via mail: Uniform Code Council, Inc., 7887 Washington Village Drive, Suite 300, Dayton, OH 45459. For a fee, the Uniform Code Council will issue you a company number and send you a packet of information about how to use it. Outside the USA, contact the equivalent organization for your country. You can apply online, by phone, or by fax. The contact information for the Uniform Code Council is:
Many consider the Uniform Code Council as the point of origination for the automated identification and data capture (AIDC) industry. The Universal Product Code (U.P.C.) created widespread business cases that proved to the world there was practicality and value in automated identification in the supply chain. As a home of sorts to the AIDC industry, the UCC carries on full-scale development of technology based solutions for the many business problems that have been identified within the supply chain. UPC (Universal Product Code) numbers are controlled in the USA by the Uniform Code Council in Dayton, Ohio. The system is designed to avoid letting two manufacturers happen to market products with identical codes. More information.
STEP ONE: Your company will need to obtain a UCC-12 (U.P.C.) number. (The U.P.C.-A bar code symbol represents your UCC-12 (U.P.C.) number).
Where does my company obtain the UCC-12 (U.P.C.) number?
- The left half of a UPC code includes a company number, which is issued by the Uniform Code Council after your company applies for membership. This number is referred to as the UCC Company Prefix.
- The right half is then up to the manufacturer to assign at will.
Other countries use similar systems managed by corresponding organizations.
STEP TWO: In order to have the U.P.C.-A bar code printed, provide your UCC-12 (U.P.C.) number to Data ID or you can print it yourself.
How does my company get the U.P.C.-A bar code marked on our product?
The bar code can be printed provided your company has a UCC-12 (U.P.C.) number. The product packager, or you, printing your own UPC code, etc. may use bar code software that is available commercially to actually produce the symbol.
Printing your own UPC Codes
This is where Data ID can help! We have several solutions for printing UPC codes:
- BarTender Pro
- BarTender Pro for Windows delivers on-screen WYSIWYG display and expanded display and expanded printer support to make custom label production quick and easy.
Label View Pro for Windows
- This version integrates the Internet into LabelView. Companies can control their label formats centrally for LabelView users worldwide. This assures labels meet the latest standards and content requirements. LabelView can open labels from any IP address on the Internet, essentially from almost any PC connected to the Internet.
Thermal Transfer Printers
- Data ID offers two thermal transfer printer packages, one for low-volume desktop printing and the other for high-volume label printing. Both printers come bundled with BarTender, allowing you to design and print your own labels quickly and easily.
Once you have the entire UPC code worked out, contact us for all of your label , bar code fonts, hardware and software needs. We will be pleased to help you.